Sunday, March 29, 2009

Prioritizing

Many of us know what prioritize means. Basically it's to do the most important thing first. But how many of us can say that we regularly prioritize everything successfully? Why is it common knowledge to keep your priorities in order, but when it comes down to actually doing it, very few of us prioritize on a daily basis?

I believe 2 things prevent us. Here they are:
1. Lack of planning. When things and circumstances come at us, we are in reaction mode due to the lack of planning our schedule in advance.
2. Inability to say "no" to ourselves. I've learned that keeping my priorities straight requires me to be able to say no to myself when I want something. It's the ability to delay gratification that actually empowers us to get done what needs to get done.

No comments: